OUR SUSTAINABLE PRACTICES ACROSS OUR BUSINESS
Sustainability is a core value of our company, and we are committed to reducing our environmental impact in every way we can. One of the ways we implement this value is through our reduce, reuse, and recycle format. This helps us to minimize waste where possible, by encouraging our employees to find ways to reduce the amount of resources we use and waste we produce, reuse materials whenever possible, and recycle as much as we can. This does not stop at our door. We focus on continuously improving our products so that reduce, reuse and recycle can be done by our customers too. This helps us to conserve resources, and reduce our carbon footprint. We believe that by taking these steps, we can make a positive contribution to the health of our planet.
We follow this by taking a number of steps in our daily operations to maintain our best sustainability efforts. Our committed to reducing our environmental impact where possible across all departments and this includes our roastery, warehouse, our cafe and office in Alexandria.
- Requesting deliveries to come in plastic-free packaging when possible.
- Pollution waste by reducing the frequency of incoming deliveries.
- Our packaging is continuously evolving so that after consumption it can be disposed in the most Earth friendly manner. Like our new 100% home compostable bags for our coffee.
- Ceramic cups for cupping (including spit cups)
- Grain-pro bags that our green beans are delivered in, we reuse as bin liners.
- Packaging boxes for delivery, reused for shipments.
- Coffee husk, silver skin and chaff, all go into industrial compost thanks to ‘Organic Recycling Group’
- Coffee jute bags, go to industrial compost
- All recyclable materials such as damaged boxes, inbound delivery boxes and the likes are put in our recycling bins
“Environmental stewardship involves a conscious and deliberate decision making process that considers the natural environment as a key player in business”
SOURCING GREEN BEANS
We locally roast and package STITCH COFFEE products in Alexandria. It is the heart and core hub of our company.
It is also where we store, pack and fulfil our online orders and it houses our headquarters. All parts of our hub do the utmost towards sustainability, not just for ourselves but to be able to share the sustainability efforts with you, our customers, and make it easy for you to be sustainable using and disposing of our products.
First and foremost, our key sustainability focus in our roastery starts at the very beginning of our coffee supply chain and how we source our coffee.
IMPORTER & PRODUCER - Our coffee beans come from importers with high credentials in providing transparency reports and certifications (such as organic coffee certifications and fair trade certifications). We ensure that our coffee beans are traceable back to the producer and we like to hero their coffee stories too.
COFFEE BEANS - only coffee beans graded 80 or higher (out of 100) go into our STITCH COFFEE products and a selection process created by our Head of Coffee is the heart of our single origin coffee selection. We heavily look into where the coffee comes from and the story of our producers.
“We work with partners both locally and internationally who share our sustainability values and operate their businesses to have positive environmental impact.”
SUSTAINABILITY IN HOSPITALITY
Our commitment to reducing our environmental impact, especially in hospitality, a sector where cost-effective practices can easily overshadow sustainable practices carries through to creating a number of initiatives to maintain our best sustainability efforts within our owned venues, such as STITCH COFFEE Broadway.
- We have reduced our use of disposable coffee cups and takeaway food packaging that are made with high carbon footprint
- Our disposable coffee cups are made from plant pulp, printed with plant ink and is fully home compostable. It is also paper-free, plastic-free and no bleach. All provided by our friends at I Am Not Paper.
- Our cold beverage disposable tumblers are made with a plant-based PLA bioplastic and are 100% carbon neutral. These compostable cups are an eco-friendly alternative to plastic cups.
- Our staff also encouraged to help reduce their carbon footprint by travelling to and from work on public transport or cycling.
- We happily oblige to customers bringing in their reusable travel coffee cups for their coffee orders
- All glass and milk bottles
- All paper-based cartons and boxes
- Our takeaway bags and boxes are recyclable
By taking these steps, we are helping to minimize waste and reduce our carbon footprint.
COFFEE BEAN BAGS
We are continually improving our sustainability practices and our new coffee bean bags look great, keep your coffee in perfect condition and are kind to the planet.
Peel off coffee label sticker and valve (we’re working on sourcing labels that can be home compostable too and won’t affect the quality of the product - watch this space!) and place the entire bag into your home compost bin.
COFFEE BEAN BAGS
READY TO DRINK
Our coffee beverages in cans: Rinse can and ensure it’s free from coffee. Place in bin for kerbside recycle
Alternatively can be placed in container deposit schemes.
READY TO DRINK
COFFEE BEAN CANS & CHAI CANS
Our cans can be recycled with the label on. Our labels are made of heat shrink wrap, we do not use glue or any adhesives.
Rinse can to ensure its clean and free of coffee/tea. Place in kerbside recycling bin (no need to remove label).
COFFEE BEAN CANS & CHAI CANS
Honduras pods - industrial compostable:
Place pods (whole pod with coffee inside) in industrial compost system (FOGO bins) or place in your normal waste bin.
Signature blend and Okapa Blue PNG pods - 100% home compostable:
Place pods (whole pod with coffee inside) in your home compost system. Alternatively, place in your general waste bin.
Matcha pods - not recyclable (aluminium):
Our matcha pods are different to the rest of our pod collection and the pod shell is made from aluminium. This pod is too small for recycling collection facilities to properly process. Recycle matcha pods through drop-off or post-back collection schemes. Or place matcha pods into your general waste bin.
All boxes are recyclable! Place in your cardboard recycling system.
Beverage Product Boxes: Remove any stickers or labels. Place in kerbside recycling bin.
Red - small: Do not recycle. Place in your normal waste bin.
Red - big: Place in kerbside recycling bin. This box says on its back it is recyclable.
Yellow: Remove any stickers or labels. Place in kerbside recycling bin.
Black: Remove any tape, stickers or labels. Place in kerbside recycling bin.
Red wholesale: Remove any tape, stickers or labels. Place in kerbside recycling bin.